The GREEN HOTELIER & RESTAURANTEUR ENVIRONMNETAL AWARD - 1999
The Award For International Hotel & Restaurant Association (IH&RA)- 2001. Has been awarded once again with honours to the Orchid hotel
The International Hotel & Restaurant Association (IH&RA) annual Green Hotelier & Restauranteur Environmental Award for 1999 recognised hospitality industry efforts that went beyond in-house environmental programmes to promote sustainable tourism. Hotel and Restaurant operators were invited to demonstrate how they were promoting sustainable development while safe-guarding local culture and protecting the environment.
The IH&RA chose this theme to coincide with the focus of the United Nations Commission on Sustainable development (CSD) meeting in April 1999, which, for the first time, debated the efforts of the travel and tourism sector in implementing Agenda 21 (the blueprint for environmental action adopted by 182 governments at the Rio Earth Summit in 1992).
Applications were judged by representatives of the International Hotels Environment Initiative (IHEI). The Orchid Hotel was judged the winner at the IH&RA Annual Congress in Durban. MR. KANAMPILLY our Director received the award on behalf of the Hotel at a gala evening celebration on the 20th of October 1999, in Durban.
The Orchid was required to fill in a questionaire in order to qualify for the prize. Click on the questions below to view our answers, which amply illustrate our on-going commitment to sustainable eco-tourism.
- Your environment context :
Your sustainable development action :
- What are the environmental issues in your region/country and how do you see them affecting your property?
- What level of public environmental awareness exists in your country?
- Please supply your environmental mission statement or policy, and describe how it has been publicised to staff, guests and community at large.
- Do you hold any kind of national or international environmental certification, or do you plan to become certified? Please outline and provide a copy.
- Have you produced / do you produce an environment report?
Your green team:
- Through this award, we would like to hear about the overall action you have taken to promote sustainable development. These programmes and initiatives might show how your hotel or restaurant has:
Supported the local community economically: for instance, through employment opportunities, purchase/production/ distribution of local products; donating unwanted furniture/food to charities; offering waste disposal facilities to nearby businesses/local community; provision of education; training and welfare opportunities; or other reinvestment programmes.
Monitoring and reporting:
- How do you involve your staff in your environmental programme?
- What incentive or recognition do you give to your staff for environmental effort?
Your future plans:
- How do you monitor your environmental achievements?
- How do you report your environmental performances - Internally & Externally.
- What recognition and/or feedback and/or publicity have you received for your environmental efforts?
- How do you plan to expand and improve your environmental project?
- If you win the award, how will you communicate your success? How will you use the prize money?
Don't stay anywhere else for the world !
Click on the link above to make an instant reservation.
OR Ring: 1-600-11-5432 (Toll Free in India),
Adjacent to Domestic Airport